Are Some Patients Hopeless?
Do you think that some patients are hopeless? I have had psychotherapy, been hospitalized several times, had several diagnoses, am compliant with prescribed medications. The bottom line is that the really horrible times keep coming back, when I want to die and hurt myself. The pain, if you want to call it that, makes me want to put a bullet through my head. Sometimes I bang my head against the wall to try to make it stop. I try as hard as I can. I work full-time and take care of myself. Doctors and therapists seem to become judgmental. they'll say that I shouldn't feel the way I do, that I should "just get over it." One doctor told me there was no excuse for my being in therapy. Does this sound hopeless to you? Do you have any advice for someone who feels like she's tried everything? Thank you
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.